New music from Jónsi, and a first official digital release from his noughties electronic alter-ego, Frakkur, form part of an hour of unreleased and remixed music that has been added to the ambient mixtape, Liminal, on October 12.
Coinciding with live Liminal sound baths from Jónsi, Paul Corley, & Alex Somers, as part of David Lynch’s Festival of Disruption in Los Angeles over the weekend (October 13 and 14), the new additions to the mixtape include Jonsi’s previously unheard 6-minute string-based piece “Missir,” as well as a remix of Frakkur’s “A Drop In The Ocean”, a piece Jónsi made in 2001 that’s gone unreleased until now.
The new hour of Liminal music also includes the rare Jónsi & Alex track, “Chapter 3”, from All Animals, the bonus disc of their acclaimed Riceboy Sleeps ambient album, plus new music from Alex Somers, his remix of Julianna Barwick’s mesmeric “The Harbinger”, and material from much-loved friends and influences, including Ian William Craig and Vatican Shadow.
This second hour of Liminal music is another step towards the idea of creating an ever-evolving ambient listening experience around the wider Sigur Rós family, with more new and unreleased music planned in the weeks ahead. Follow Liminal on your chosen streaming service to hear the project grow.
Additions to the liminal streaming mixtape
- Alex Somers – Swallow
- Jónsi & Alex – Chapter Three (Alex Somers remix)
- Julianna Barwick – The Harbinger (Alex Somers remix)
- Sigur Rós – Varúð (Liminal remix)
- John Somers – Poppies (Liminal remix)
- Vatican Shadow – Yemeni Telephone Number
- Hymnalaya – Xll (Alex Somers remix)
- Chris Watson – Vatnajökull (Liminal remix)
- Jónsi – Missir
- John Somers – A Candy Coated Slow Down (Alex Somers remix)
- Ian William Craig – Either Or (edit)
- John Somers – Sea Organ (Liminal remix)
- Sigur Rós – Untitled #7 (Paul Corley remix)
- Frakkur – A Drop In The Ocean (Paul Corley remix)