Kid Be Kid has released her new album titled ‘Truly A Life Goal But No Ice Cream’ via Fun In The Church. Filled with electro-personality and just plain fun to listen altitude with attitude, this album is more of a journey, and a hella journey at that, through your electrostatic being and fun side of your personality, much like an art project gone completely off the rails. Fun with a fault.
Check out our other features with Kid Be Kid HERE.
About Kid Be Kid & ‘Truly A Life Goal But No Ice Cream’
Throughout her journey, Kid Be Kid has earned favourable support from industry publications such as Complex UK, NOTION Mag, Jazzwise UK, Pure Grain Audio, and Exit Through Sound among others. Her music received spins on BBC Radio 1Xtra with Jamz Supernova, Reprezent Radio 107.3FM’s NYSWRLD show, National Irish Radio station RTÉ 2FM, and the German station Deutschlandfunk Kultur.
Dripping with sugary vocals, Truly A Life Goal But No Ice Cream features 10 conformity-defying records topped with a sprinkle of punchy beats and a swirl of crunchy bass. Ready? Grab a heavy double scoop of Kid Be Kid’s fun-filled album.
Kid Be Kid says “Truly A Life Goal But No Ice Cream breaks away from the widespread dream of wanting to be like ‘Barbie and Ken’ – the constructed standard of gender and beauty, the filters through which we view ourselves and others. With this album, I’m putting a magnifying glass in your hand, made specifically for real emotion and deeper meaning. All you have to do is pick it up, and the journey into an exciting world begins.”
Kid Be Kid has been a celebrated sensation for years for her live performances, so it’s no wonder that she is only too happy to make fun of all the boring online productions, including bloated self-marketing in her lyrics: “You’ll have to post 5 times a week, at least 5 videos and one pic. If not, your audience won’t grow”. But since we have all become little self-marketing monsters with the desire for constant virtual pats on the back, she directs this criticism primarily at herself: “Of course: for love, everybody seeks, but it makes me sick to do so too,” she says in the song ‘News Feed’.
Originating from Berlin, Germany, pianist, singer, and human beatbox Kid Be Kid was raised by professional musicians. Her parents only listened to classical music, so she recorded her favourite songs off the radio and explored her taste in secrecy. Later, she learned to play the piano but disliked staring at the sheet music.
At 19, Kid Be Kid found freedom from the confines through Jazz improvisation, which led her to experiment with aspects of Neo Soul, Hip Hop, and Pop. Recently, she sang on several scores for the 2022 Netflix film Rumspringa. Drawing influence from Little Simz, Frank Ocean, and Kaytranada, her music brings together chosen elements of H.E.R and Frank Ocean as well as live-performance acts Jacob Collier and DOMi & JD BECK.
KID BE KID Tour Dates 2023
- 17 June – Maisons-Laffitte Jazz festival, Vincennes, FR
- 21 June – Gretchen Fete de la Musique Blockparty, Berlin, D
- 24 June – Querbeet Festival, Gelsenkirchen, D
- 30 June – Südtirol Jazzfestival, Bozen, IT
- 01 July – Südtirol Jazzfestival, Brixen, IT
- 02 July – Südtirol Jazzfestival, Bozen, IT
- 03 July – Südtirol Jazzfestival, Meran, IT
- 15 July – Kulturpraline, Tornow, D
- 14 September – Faust, Hannover, D
- 15 September – Jaki, Köln, D
- 16 September – Tempel, Karlsruhe, D
- 19 September – Bunker Ulmenwall, Bielefeld, D
- 22 September – Planet Ears Festival – Mannheim, D
- 28 September – Kiel, hansa 48, D
- 22 October – bee-flat, Bern, CH
- 25 October – NUEJAZZ, Nürnberg, D
- 26 October – Schlachthof, Kassel, D
- 24./25 November – Slovensky rozhlas, Bratislava, SK
- 14 December – Spielboden, Dornbirn, AT