Daily Dose: Kathy Greenholdt – Now That You’re Gone
Kathy Greenholdt grew up in Springfield, Illinois, and now makes her home in Chicago. A “late-bloomer,” when Kathy turned 38, she learned to play guitar and wrote her first song. Her sixth album, The Pilgrim, which follows 2013’s When You’re Dead, debuts June 11.
On When You’re Dead: Kathy has “the ability to create music of a powerful nature—deceptively powerful.” And, “her voice is unlike any I’ve ever heard.”
– Richard Milne, WXRT-FM (Chicago), 2013
“A songwriter of supreme power” and “a singer of great promise.”
(Reviewer’s Score of When You’re Dead: 8 out of 10)
– Martyn Coppack, Americana UK, 2013
On When You’re Dead: “Beautifully moody, brightly dark Americana that is worlds beyond the quality of her last (fine) album. I recommend you all go Green(holdt).”
– Jake Austen, Roctober Reviews, 2013
“With her new album, When You’re Dead, Kathy Greenholdt solidifies her reputation as a gifted vocalist with ruminations on bravery, peace and even God. In Greenholdt’s unique brand of Americana-infused folk/pop, her assured vocals shift and shade to fit each song’s mood…. And they’re accompanied by the outstanding production and exemplary instrumentation of Dolly Varden’s Steve Dawson.”
– Bryan Cahpin, Chicago Indie Music Live, 2013
“Lowly Violet, the 45-year-old singer/songwriter’s latest effort, includes eight tunes showcasing her affecting voice and emotional lyrics. Cuts like ‘Fire’ and ‘The Dream’ sometimes suggest the gritty energy of Melissa Etheridge, at other times the studied nuance of Martha Wainwright. Happily, they’re at all times pleasing and profound.”
– Jeff Berkwits, Illinois Entertainer, 2009
“[‘Summer’s Through’] is just a gorgeously understated piece of songwriting….[Wake-Up Prayer] has been in the pile of must-listen-to-them-again CDs for ages….I ended up playing it five times in a row, so apologies to the nextdoor neighbor.”
– Steve Lamacq, BBC Radio 2, 2007
- Niala Boodhoo, host of WBEZ-Chicago’s “Afternoon Shift,” interviewed Kathy in a show segment on finding success at any age.
- Lilli Kuzma, host of WDCB-FM’s “Folk Festival,” named When You’re Dead to her list of “Faves” for 2013.
- “Summer’s Through” from the Wake-Up Prayer EP was featured by Steve Lamacq on BBC Radio 2 and selected as the focus of a listener call-in contest.
- Kathy’s music was chosen for Females on Fire, Vol. 3, a compilation album showcasing women songwriters from around the world (produced by Gilli Moon and Warrior Girl Music, Los Angeles).
- In 2012, the Chicago Music Commission invited Kathy to participate as a panelist on the Musicians At Work forum, “Recording and Manufacturing an Independent Music Project.”
- In 2008, Kathy had her first song accepted into a music library. She established her independent publishing company, Bindweed Music, in 2009.
- The Pilgrim (releasing June 2016)
- When You’re Dead (2013)
- Lowly Violet (2009)
- Females on Fire, Vol. 3 (compilation, 2008)
- Wake-Up Prayer (EP, 2007)
- Wisdom Days (2005)
- Guilty Game (2003)
Kathy’s music has been played on more than 140 radio stations as well as Internet radio programs throughout the country and around the world, including: BBC Radio 2 (London), WGN Radio (Chicago), WXRT (Chicago), WLUW (Chicago), CHIRP Radio (Chicago), UIC Radio (Chicago), WDCB (Chicago/Glen Ellyn), Chicago Acoustic Underground, Radio DePaul (Chicago), Pandora, KBBI-AM (Homer, Alaska), WXPN (Philadelphia), Freight Train Boogie Podcast (Santa Rosa, CA), WRTC (Hartford, CT), Nette Radio (Los Angeles), 88.6 FM (Victoria, Australia), Radio Clandestino at Live365.com, North Star Radio, WGOE (Richmond, VA), Celtica Radio (Wales), KPFT (Houston), KRFC (Ft. Collins, CO), KSYM (San Antonio), WCBE (Columbus, OH), WDBM (East Lansing, MI), WDVX (Knoxville, TN), KOPN (Columbia, MO), KRCL (Salt Lake City), KZSU (Stanford, CA), KFJC (Los Altos Hills, CA), WFDU (Teaneck, NJ), KRSH (Santa Rosa, CA), KVMR (Nevada City, CA), KVNF (Paonia, CO), KWMR (Point Reyes Station, CA), WERU (East Orland, ME), KRCB (Santa Rosa, CA), KZGM (Cabool, MO), WAZU (Peoria, IL), WUOW (Oneonta, NY), WMNF (Tampa, FL), KLCZ (Lewiston, ID), and KQAL (Winona, MN).
SOURCE: Official Bio