The psychedelic funk of George Clinton, the brooding menace of Massive Attack, the rolling hypnotic beats of Happy Mondays and the vision and flow of Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five are all essential ingredients to the sound and style of The Winachi Tribe, a sonic soul, electro funk collective who are unconstrained by boundaries or formulas, musically or culturally.
Lyrically explosive and musically diverse, the band were born from the belly of Northern D.Funk collective China White. The Winachi Tribe are an exceptional band of musicians and producers who have collaborated and toured with a range of artists from Ian Brown to Alabama 3, Keith Allen to The Furious Five.
The band’s influences are as diverse as their own musical output. Parliament/Funkadelic and Sly & The Family Stone sit alongside The Happy Mondays, Primal Scream, The Rolling Stones and The Beatles, creating a melting pot of references that create a truly individual sound.
Although this is The Winachi Tribe’s debut release, individual band members are already well established on the music scene. Percussion legend Inder Goldfinger was a member of Ian Brown’s band for thirteen years, and vocalist Liam and keys player Antony collaborated with Keith Allen in the studio and also toured with him as vocalists in his band ‘Fit Les’ as part of his Olympic opera ‘Will Cliff Be There?’
Horns come courtesy of Tim Hutton (Ian Brown / The Prodigy). The tracks were mixed by LC Coleman, produced by The Winachi Tribe and mastered at Abbey Road by Geoff Pesche.
- 18th July – Single launch at Water Rats, London with ‘Alabama 3’ DJ set and support from Italian Band La Strange http://www.wegottickets.com/event/319583
- 27th August – Vinyl launch, The Ruby Lounge, supports TBC
- 29th August – Victorious Festival, Portsmouth, opening for Primal Scream & The Flaming Lips
- 5th September – Manchester Met Uni, ‘The Second Coming’ with Aziz Ibrahim, The Clone Roses, Cressa (DJ Set)
- 7th November – Shiiine On Weekender, Minehead Arena, Somerset with Happy Mondays, Stereo MCs, 808 State
Released through ‘A1M Records’ – http://www.a1mrecords.com
The Winachi Tribe are:
- Liam Croker – Vocals
- Antony Egerton – Keyboards
- Inder Goldfinger – Percussion
- Richie Rich – Bass
- Jamie Fingers Mcgregor – Guitar
- Sam Tushingham – Drums